Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I made quiche!

I made a quiche tonight and I am quite proud of myself. It turned out great. The crust is golden brown, it set up well and it is loaded with yummy veggies. Now I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow!! Making the quiche was really easy (and sort of fun). Basically I beat some eggs and milk together, threw in some roughly chopped fresh mushrooms and some red bell peppers for color and then salt, pepper, nutmeg and cheese. Sorry to Julia Child, but I am making my quiche the American way! Europeans typically don't add cheese to their quiches. So after mixing everything up, I poured it into the crust. The recipe made WAY too much filling so I microwaved the rest for a little snack. Then I baked it for about 40 minutes and now it is cooling. I had considered adding other veggies and some meat. Now I am glad that I didn't because that would have been way way too much. However next time I can try some different ingredients. This quiche thing is part of the French diet. As long as I watch my portion size, I love eating the French way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite cookbook for healthy eating is Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison. You can get the paperback used for a decent price on Amazon. It has healthy, but very tasty food that typically appeals even to omnivores.