Saturday, April 12, 2008

The French Diet Day 1

I went shopping last night and bought more produce than I think I've ever bought before. I am really looking forward to trying it all. The newest vegetable of everything I bought was a leek. They hardly even fit in those annoying plastic bags they give you to put produce in. So for the first two days of this change in diet, I am supposed to make a soup of these leeks and drink the broth. Easy enough. I cook the leeks according to direction, but I must say they aren't as flavorful as I expected. They sort of smelled like an artichoke (yummy with melted butter) looked like over sized blades of grass or something and didn't have much of a taste to them. The broth that I am supposed to drink didn't look like anything more than heated water with a PALE greenish tinge. I was not overly impressed. I understand the purpose of these first two days is to retrain my taste buds so I am going to make some slight improvisations. The leeks went into a veggie soup I am cooking for my lunch this upcoming week. The broth went down the drain and I am sticking with just some bland veggies like carrots and celery. Tomorrow will be a little tough, but Monday will be nice. I have planed to make some oatmeal with a little maple syrup on top, some cantaloupe and water. That is something encouraged on this diet change is to drink more water. We surprisingly lose a lot of water while we sleep and need something when we first wake up. Many people however reach for juice for a nice shot of sugar first thing in the morning. Water is hydrating, refreshing and brightens your complexion. Lunch will be 1 cup of my veggie soup, half a turkey and swiss sandwich with a little bit of pesto and either pineapple or something citrisy (I don't think that's word, but whatever!). Dinner is going to be pasta primavera and a small salad and a bit more fruit. All in all, that may sound like a lot of food, but honestly I will have had 3 servings of fruit, 3 servings of veggies, 1 serving of protein and 2 carbs. Very few fats and sugars which will come from the bit of syrup at breakfast and the dressing at dinner. I'll probably end dinner with a small bit of chocolate. I have some fancy dark chocolates that are at least 60% cacao based. YUM! So far on a scale of one to ten, I'd give today a five. I have had good intentions, but haven't done too well due to plain leeks just suck! Tomorrow will be much much better!

No comments: