Friday, April 4, 2008

Been A While

I have a lot to talk about at least! I'll start with the latest.

Today I enrolled in classes at KU. I am taking 15 hours which is a bit of a let down to me. I was hoping for 18-21 hours. I know 15 hours is still a full load, but I know that I can manage more, especially since most of the classes are gen eds. I am taking, anthropology, geography, math (ick), Intro to Drama (reading plays, not acting!) and intro to teaching. It's a pretty good schedule and that will wipe out all my gen eds and get me started on my English and education courses. The reason why I can't take more classes is because of that intro to drama. They say I have to finish that class before I can enroll in any other English classes. So, waiting for future semesters are: Shakespeare, Early American Lit, British Literature after 1800, Native American Literature, Fiction Writing, Rhetoric and Writing, Writing Nonfiction and Fiction Writing. I know that sounds like a lot, but I am really looking forward to it all (except the British lit--so complex)

Another thing on my mind lately is diets. I know this sounds very critical of me but these are my thoughts and this is my blog!
Going on a diet is dumb!!!! I know that I am not in the best shape and I am no dietitian, but I think I know enough that when I hear that someone is going "on a diet" that something is off. Going on a diet sounds like it is something you will eventually go off of. I've been doing a bit of reading and researching and I don't believe it is possible for anyone to "go on a diet". Everyone has a diet. It's what we eat; whether our diets are good or bad is another story. I think what people mean to say is that they are going to change their diet-for better or worse. What do I mean by for better or worse? Well, the grapefruit diet for example is definitely a diet change for the worse. All grapefruit, all the time?? Or the Atkins diet, no carbs (including a ban on some veggies and most fruit) and all the meat you want. Sure there is some success with these diets initially, but the results don't tend to stick and people tend to gain the weight back and then some when they end the "diet". On these sorts of diets, people tend to feel deprived of the things they enjoy and if they do indulge in their no-no foods, they feel guilty and often times binge thinking 'well, I've already screwed up'. I don't understand the logic behind these "diets".
In addition to the crazy diets is the crazy exercise routines that some people punish themselves with. (Running on the treadmill for 2 hours, followed by an hour on the StairMaster) I am currently reading a book called "French Women Don't Get Fat" and the book discusses that French women (and many European women) are amazed at what American women(and men) do to their bodies. Here are 10 key points of the French "Diet":

1. Eat a variety of foods
2. Occasionally indulge in the things you enjoy
3. Eat until you are satisfied, not full
4. Watch portion sizes
5. Measure your success by how clothes fit and how you feel, not by the number on the scale
6. Focus on your food-not tv, not work, not driving down the highway
7. Get 30-45 minutes of activity daily
8. Try eating in courses
9. When you feel hungry...EAT!
10. Drink lots of water

This is what I have learned about changing a diet for the better so far. I looked at how I am currently eating. Decided what changes need to be made, what portions I am eating, etc. When I look at what I eat, I realize I consume too much sugar and preprocessed foods and super sized portions. I enjoy doughnuts though so cutting those out of my diet would not make me happy. According to the French style of eating I can keep doughnuts in my diet, but limit it to a special treat,only have one and maybe have some fresh fruit or yogurt with that doughnut. Another option is, maybe I'll have the doughnut and then pass on the mojitos at happy hour.

The French and European style of dining is also based on eating in courses, taking your time and focusing on what you're eating. Typically, my lunch is a PB and J sandwich, a cup of applesauce, and a fruit rollup in front of the computer. As I am working to improve that lunch I will eat int he break room with coworkers, trade the PB&J for half of a whole grain chicken sandwich with lettuce, tomato and a little mustard (watching the serving size 2-3 oz. of meat is all that is needed), trade the applesauce in for a medium apple (the read deal!), add in some yogurt and the fruit roll up? I like it, so it stays, but no sugary afternoon snacks. I will also pay attention to the taste of my food and how I am feeling. If I am satisfied (not full) after the sandwich and apple, no need to go ahead and keep eating.

As for exercise, most Europeans walk A LOT more than most Americans, but 30-45 minutes of daily activity is recommended, whether you walk, bike, play some sport or whatever, just move!

I think the French are really on to something here. So while my coworkers are complaining about how hungry they are since their current diet is limited to coffee and celery, or as they try to count points and figure out which foods best match their blood type, I'll give my European influenced change in diet a try and enjoy eating! We'll see how it works.

No new news in writing, but some of the songs on repeat on my Sansa include: Freebird (Lynard Skynard, The Wind Cried Mary (Hendrix), Give Me The Simple Life (Steve Tyrell), What'd I Say Part 1 &2 (Ray Charles) and Rocket (Def Leppard).

No comments: