Tuesday, February 19, 2008

New Story Idea

I know I mentioned I was working on three other stories, but have another new idea. Besides, one of those ideas, I haven't looked at in months. I was listening to Something To Believe In by Poison on my way home tonight and it made me think of a story idea that I've been mulling over for the past few months. Basically, I am making a story out of what I hear the song being about.....I'd like some feed back on it. Let me know if it sounds dumb or like something that's been overdone. Basically it is about two guys that are best friends growing up. They both love baseball, rock and roll and dream of being police officers or fire fighters. Basically, all-american boys of the late 50s and early 60s. Then the 1960s strike and one goes the way of hippies and drugs and the other is drafted to Vietnam. They come back together after the war, but both are such different people that they have a hard time reconecting. The one who went to war wants his friend to turn his life around, the hippie guy wants his friend to loosen up and get off his case. They fight and barely talk for the next decade. The 1980s finally roll around and the hippie guy's life is a total mess. He is a druggie with little to no money and no family. His friend has become a divorced semi-successful business man who tries to use religion to deal with his post tramatic stress. The hippie finds out his friend died and he takes a look at when his own life has led him and tries to remember back to their friendship from the beginning to now. Some parts he can't even remember due to the drugs. He knows he needs to turn his life around and decides to do so for his friend's sake and becomes a police officer.

So let me know what you think!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would be an inspirational story but the interesting part would be whose POV you end up using.

The druggie becoming a police officer tho is a bit odd...not sure if that would be possible in real life

Anonymous said...

Interesting story. I agree with Halycon. The druggie can't be a police officer since he will prolly fail the drug testing.

How about he becomes a social worker who helps other druggies?
Also if you want to kill the vietnam vet let's add something to the story which shows how he cared for his druggie friend. How about the druggie needs a kidney since his stopped working due to drugs. The vet donates it to him when he dies, thus giving him a new lease of life and inspiring him to do something good.

Meghan said...

I should add, that when the guy decides to join the police force, he is not still a druggie. He has cleaned his life up a bit...